Cream puffs are the very close cousin of the eclair. Same pâte à choux dough, same pastry cream filling, and same chocolate coating! Just a different shape. Unlike our Winter inspired White Chocolate Coconut Eclair, we wanted to go with something classic. Our Dark Chocolate Cream Puffs with Caramel Drizzle certainly fit the bill.
We love the combination of dark chocolate with caramel! Fulfills our sweet tooth without being overly sweet. Honestly, we would choose a good dark chocolate over a milk chocolate any day. No offense to all the milk chocolate lovers out there. We just think it’s easier to eat more dark chocolate. And more chocolate is never a bad thing!
Chocoley Chocolate & Caramel
Again, this recipe was so easy with the help of Chocoley! Great quality chocolates and caramel delivered straight to your door. Both low viscosity (thin) for dipping/coating and high viscosity (thick) for candy/molding. We went with their Bada Bing Bada Boom Dipping & Coating Gourmet Compound Dark Chocolate for our Dark Chocolate Cream Puffs with Caramel Drizzle. Their Bada Bing Bada Boom line of chocolates are peanut free, tree nut free, egg free & gluten free.
The caramel drizzle was a breeze thanks to Chocoley as well. We used the Chocoley Gourmet Caramel which is gluten free, AKC Kosher Dairy, and made with real butter. The caramel is designed for dipping making it perfect for caramel apples, caramel coated popcorn, pralines and more.Their pre-made caramel helped me shave off a few steps in my recipe!
We hope you like the recipe and be sure to check out our White Chocolate Coconut Eclairs as well! Let us know what special occasion or events you decided to make this for.
Dark Chocolate Cream Puffs with Caramel Drizzle
- 1 batch baked pâte à choux cream puff shells https://inspiredthroughfood.com/pate-a-choux/
- 1 batch pastry cream https://inspiredthroughfood.com/pastry-cream/
- 8 oz Bada Bing Bada Boom Dipping & Coating Gourmet Compound Dark Chocolate https://www.chocoley.com/bada-bing-bada-boom-dipping-coating-formula-dark-2003/
- 1/4 cup Chocoley Gourmet Caramel https://www.chocoley.com/caramel/
- Using a 1/4-inch round piping tip, poke a hole in the bottom center of each cream puff.
- Fit the same piping tip into your reusable piping bag. Using a spatula, fill the pastry bag with the pastry cream. If you are using a disposable plastic pastry bag then just fill the pastry bag first and cut the tip to make about a 1/4 inch hole.
- Fill the cream puffs through the hole in the bottom. Use a paring knife to clean any excess cream that comes out of the hole.
- Fill the bottom pan of a double boiler with about 2 inches of water and place it on the stove over a medium-low heat to simmer. Fill the top pan with the dark chocolate. If you don't have a double boiler you can just use a medium saucepan filled with 2 inches of water and put your chocolate into a metal bowl placed on top of the saucepan. Stir the chocolate occasionally so it melts evenly.
- Line a sheet pan with a cooling rack to rest the cream puffs after dipping. Once the chocolate is fully melted it is time to dip the cream puffs. Take one cream puff, hold it flat with the hole facing up, and dip the eclair about halfway into the dark chocolate.
- Raise the cream puff up out of the chocolate and let the excess drip off. Once the excess is done dripping, flip it chocolate side up and place it on the cooling rack to dry. Repeat this process for all the cream puffs, make sure to occasionally stir the dark chocolate.
- Place your caramel in a clean metal bowl or top pan of a double boiler and warm it over the simmering water on the stove like we did for the chocolate. Once the caramel is melted and at a more liquid consistency we are ready to drizzle the caramel. If your caramel is too thick just mix in a tbsp of water.
- You can drizzle the caramel using a fork or spoon, whichever you prefer. Feel free to go as heavy or as light as you want with the caramel depending on your taste. Enjoy!