Simply marinated grilled shrimp is one of the best dishes to add to your next summertime backyard BBQ. Instead of the usual hot dogs and hamburgers, why not impress your friends with some easy seafood?! Keeping the shell and head on helps impart flavor while also protecting the shrimp from overcooking. Plus if you don’t already know, the best flavor is in the head of the shrimp! Yes you read that right, in the HEAD of the shrimp. Just try it out and see how you like it.
This recipe requires no long marinade times or a ton of prep. All you need is some great jumbo shrimp and a few other ingredients you probably have at home anyways. If you don’t have smoked paprika you can definitely substitute regular paprika but the smoked version just adds that little extra flavor. The smokey flavor of the paprika, acidity of the lemon, and brightness of the fresh herbs make for the perfect bite.
Grilled Garlic & Herb Shrimp
- 2 lb whole jumbo shell-on shrimp (preferably Argentinian red shrimp or other large shrimp)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1.5 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp minced mixed herbs, such as parsley, tarragon, chives
- Preheat grill to a medium setting.
- Devein the shrimp making sure to leave the shell and heads on. Devein the shrimp by either using scissors or a sharp small knife to cut a slit in the back of the shell and remove the vein.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the shrimp with all the other ingredients. Making sure to get some of the garlic and herbs in the slit of the shell.
- Skewer the shrimp to make grilling easier. Cook the shrimp on the grill over the medium heat for 5 minutes. Flip the shrimp over and cook for another 5 minutes. Serve with fresh lemon wedges on the side.